Dr. William Whittle of Whittle Dentistry encourages his Benbrook, TX patients to continue regular cleanings every six months during their Invisalign® treatment for it promotes good oral hygiene, but did you know it can also prevent a multitude of diseases?
Here are 10 really great reasons to stick with your regular cleaning schedule!
1. It Prevents Oral Cancer. You may or may not realize that you’re screened for oral cancer during your regular dental cleanings. According to the Oral Cancer Foundation, an American dies of oral cancer every hour of every day. This is particularly sad considering oral cancer is highly curable with early diagnosis.
2. It Helps Fight Gum Disease. Gum disease is one of the leading causes of adult tooth loss. It can be treated and reversed if diagnosed early. Unfortunately, not receiving treatment will lead to a more serious and advanced state of gum disease. Regular cleanings and check ups, and daily brushing and flossing are key weapons in winning the battle against gum disease.
3. It’s About More Than Your Mouth. Sure, not getting regular check-ups may make you less kissable, but did you know that studies have linked heart attacks and strokes to gum disease associated with poor oral hygiene? Getting your teeth cleaned every 6 months could reduce your risk of serious health problems!
4. You Want to Preserve Your Smile. As mentioned, gum disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss in adults. To keep your pearly whites intact, stick with your cleaning schedule.
5. It Helps to Detect Dental Problems Early. We’ve already touched upon early detection of gum disease and oral cancer, but don’t overlook more basic dental problems such as cavities and broken fillings. Without routine cleanings these problems could lead to root canals, gum surgery and/or tooth extraction. Which sounds worse: A 30-minute or less cleaning or an hour under the knife?
6. It Gives You Guidance to Maintaining Excellent Oral Health. Maybe you bought a fancy new electric toothbrush, or aren’t keeping up with what current research has to say about caring for your teeth. Either way, check ups allows us examine your mouth and keep you on the right path.
7. You Have Dental Insurance. Consider how much money you put into your insurance plan. Take advantage of it and save a lot of money in the long run by avoiding costly procedures that result from poor dental habits.
8. You Want to Upgrade Your Smile. If you’re already suffering from tooth decay or gum problems, regular appointments will allow our office to create a personalized treatment plan that will give you the best smile possible.
9. You’re a Smoker. Regular cleanings remove most tobacco stains, polishing your teeth to a beautiful shine!
10. You Need Some Time Alone. Okay, this isn’t a spa, but take the time you spend in the waiting room to forget about work or the stresses of family life and just relax. Stress effects your dental health so read a magazine or work through a crossword if you want. Take advantage of this time. Your health and well-being should never take a back seat to your daily planner.